kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: new hingback tortoise owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on December 08, 2000 at 09:33:42:

In Reply to: new hingback tortoise owner posted by Sienna on December 07, 2000 at 23:03:55:

Check out the California Turtle and tortoise Club web site in addition to Melissa Kaplan and of course the Tortoise Trust web pages. You can find a good balance of information and links on those pages. In the mean time go light on the tomatoes and banannas if you must feed them at all.
On the breeding don't worry about it unless you see the female reslessly pacing about. (this would be hard to tell in a fish tank though) Try looking into a large sweater box that you would find at the hardware store (at least 2 x 3 feet).
Enjoy.
Ed
Ed

: My husband ans I have just aquirred three hingback tortoises. I've been looking around an the web and I know that they like romaine lettuce,peaches, melon,sliced orange, bananas, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, and mushrooms. We were told to use shredded Aspen bedding on the bottom of the aquarium. We have a 15 gallon for now but are looking for something much bigger, for after winter. I would like to know how old they are and their sex. I'm pretty sure that we have 2 males and 1 female, by their bottoms. We would like to know how often to put them in water, what temprture should the water be, how deep of water, and for how long? Do we need to take them to a vet. for a check up, how often do they need to go to the vet. I also read some where that they like it humid, or a mist every so often. The pet shop that we got them from said that one of the males has been mating with the female. While he does it he makes moaning sounds. If she is going to lay eggs what do we need to do for her? and how long before she lays her eggs? We live in Houston, Texas so it doesn't get really cold but it's not always hot. So we would appreciate any response or referance to books. Thank you to anybody who responds!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]