kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks Terry for all the help, once the temps get back up ill move him

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by outside again.... Matt n/p on December 07, 2000 at 13:37:55:

In Reply to: Re: Please help, very concerned about russian tortoise posted by Terry on December 07, 2000 at 12:37:30:

:
: Hi Matt,
: good idea to seperate them.
: Russian tortoises need dry conditions, they don't do well in damp or humid environments.
: I wouldn't feed the Russian mangos,apples or peas.
: Instead I would add more leafy greens to the diet.
: Romaine lettuce, endive, dandelions, watercress.
: Romaine and endive are a great favorite with my pair of Russian torts.
: I chop it up a bit and top it of with a little grated yam and yellow squash.

: Fruits shouldn't be given to Russian torts, and veggies like peas, beans, corn, brocoli, coliflower aren't recommended either.

: A little grated carrot on top of the leafy green mix is fine, collards are okay, but shouldn't be fed exclusively.
: So try to mix in a larger variety of leafy greens.
: Steer clear of spinach, chard, bok choy and iceburg lettuce though.

: You can top the greens of with a little grated yam, carrot or squash.
: Hibiscus flowers are good, mulberry leaves and other edible weeds, flowers, plants.
: Leave a little/shallow dish of water for the tort to take a drink, but don't mist the enclosure.

: Best of luck, hopefully his plastron will improve now he's in a drier environment.
: Hope this helps and thanks for the up-date.
: Terry.
: PS.
: Here's a couple of articles you might find useful:

: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/horsfield_habitat.html

: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/horsfield.html

: http://www.turtlecafe.net/habitats.htm

:

: : I house him in a 4 foot by 2.5 foot pen made of hardware cloth and wood, he was with an ig until i read yourpost, i think whats wrong is that it was too humid for the tortoise because i was spraying the iguana frequently. I seperated them now. Yes heis housed indoors but only for winter and he is taken out for a few hours a day to get natural light. I feed him collard greens, bell pepper, apple, mango, carrots and peas with a little variation here and there. I have had him for almost a year and he was captive born, i have not taken him to a vet though. If his condition doesnt improve by next wednesday i'll call my vet to make an appointment. I washed the affected area with antibacterial soap and i now have him on dry newspaper by himself in a 30 gallon tub with a spotlamp overhead. I'll post again tommorrow with further info.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]