kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: eye infection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on December 06, 2000 at 23:51:27:

In Reply to: eye infection posted by Heather on December 06, 2000 at 19:28:13:

Hi Heather,
can you tell us what substrate you're using?
Sometimes the substrate can cause eye iritation, or if it's not changed often enough eye mites can infest the substrate.

I had a problem when I used rabbit pellets with my hatchling leopards, no matter how often I changed the pellets, mites took over. Too tiny to see, but they bit at the little tortoises eyes.

When I used hay in my sulcatas overnight shelter I had a problem too.No matter how often I changed it, the hay became damp, musty and dusty.When I discontinued using rabbit pellets and timothy hay, the problems went away.
Some other substrates are toxic, pine shavings and other wood shavings shouldn't be used.
Any substrate you use should be changed often and kept clean.
The most common cause of eye problems are contaminated water or substrate, or bacterial infections.
Vitamin A deficiency can also be a cause, but this should be diagnosed and treated by a vet. Don't give vitamin A to the tortoise in any form unless prescribed by a vet, as it can be toxic.

On to food:
Cabbage is not recommended for sulcatas, carrots can be fed but only once in a while, same for sweet potatos and kale.
Banana should not be a part of the diet at all.

Instead I would give a variety of leafy greens.
Romaine lettuce, endive, chicory, dandelion are some of the better greens. But don't just feed one type offer a variety.
You can mix in collard greens ( in a small amount)
Red and Green leaf lettuce,watercress ( the large variety) hibiscus flowers, mulberry leaves and opuntia cactus, ( prickly pear cactus the pads are shaped like beaver tails)get the spineless variety and scrub of the tiny spikes before feeding it.

Fruits should not be given to sulcatas, and banana is one of the worst foods for this species.
Carrots shouldn't be given often, instead of carrot you can give a little grated yam, but not everyday only once a week to 10 days, if that.

So let us know what substrate you're using, what the temperatures are. And are you using UV lighting, for indoor torts it's a must.

If the eyes don't improve I recommend a trip to the vet, as swollen eyes can be a symptom that something else is going on.

I have never used tetra eye drops on my tortoises, so I don't know if they do any good.
Instead I recommend that you take the tortoise to a vet who may prescribe differents drops, more suitable for the condition.

Do you ever soak the tortoise?
For young sulcatas, soaking in very shallow luke warm water for 10 minutes, every other day is recommended.
The water should only reach the bottom of his chin.
Soak for 10 minutes every other day.
As he/she gets older you can soak less often.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

: I have had a baby spurred tortoise for about a month, whose shell is only about 2.5 inches in diameter. When I picked him out his eyes were perfectly clear, but soon started looking swollen. I administered the eye drops put out by Tetra once a day, and for a while he looked better. Now, he seems to be looking worse. I feed him a variety of vegetables, including cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, and kale. I also give him some banana once in a while. Does anyone have any idea why his eye condition has worsened? How can I treat it, and prevent it from happening again? Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]