kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Forest Hingebacks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Cristiano on November 24, 2000 at 00:05:23:

In Reply to: Forest Hingebacks posted by EJ on November 23, 2000 at 23:07:29:

Hi EJ . I keep a small herd of these hingebacks .
They are kept in a small pen inside during the cool NY seasons . The substrate is a mixture of peat moss and Calcisand . They are kept warm ,82 during the day and 78 at nite . The pen is misted daily and often spurs feeding and breeding activity {no eggs yet }. My herd loves all apropriate veggies. Favorites include Yellow squash, dandilions both flowers and leaves, waxworms and watermellon .Earth worms are the absolute best and are hunted down eagerly though high fiber greens ,orchard grass and opuntia cactus provide the most satisfactory diet . All food items are dusted with powdered vitamins and calcium . Once weekly I load them into my shower and spray them down with luke warm water whch prompts cpopius amounts of defacation. These torts are a litle shy and enjoy hiding places that should be provided . My torts are most active early and late in the day and rarely bask though full spectrum lights must be provided .Most hingebacks are loaded with parisites,both worms and many other nasties, so they should be vet checked upon delivery . Further , they are frequently dehydrated, with sunken eyes and very loose skin . Rehydration therapy is almost always nessasary . These torts like it very humid and love to soak. Aditional information is readily available at the Tort. Trust web page. Best Regards, Greg Cristiano
g.cristiano@worldnet.att.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]