kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Horsfield Tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 20, 2000 at 13:50:03:

In Reply to: Horsfield Tortoise posted by Karl on November 20, 2000 at 13:33:01:

Hi Karl,
overwintering means to keep up the temperatures and in all aspects treat the tortoises as if it were still summer.
If this is done correctly, the tortoises shouldn't be slowing down, but active and eating etc as they would during the summer months.
Wild caught torts in the first year might try to slow down/hibernate as that's what their biological clock is telling them to do.
So it's up to you to ensure that the correct temperatures etc are maintained to keep them active.

I'm not saying that you're not doing that, just wanted to make sure you understand what overwintering means! I'm sure you do.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/overwinter.html

If you're concerned about a tortoise and it's losing weight, I think a vet check is your next step.
If the tortoises haven't been checked for parasites, make sure the vet does a stool test.
Even if they have been tested and treated, a retest is a good idea.
Some health issues don't become apparent for quite a while, this is why quarantine is important.The tortoise may have already been ill, but it went unnoticed, so another vet check is a good idea.

If she's in with other bigger torts, make sure that they're not too agressive for her. Or pushing her away at food time, not allowing her to get her fair share.

Check your husbandry, make sure temperatures are correct, subtrate is correct for the species and that they are hydrated.

But I think a vet visit might be a good idea for this tortoise, if she's doing so poorly.
Have you joined the Russian Tortoise email list yet?
If not I highly recommend it, I've linked it below.
Hope this helps a bit, keep us updated.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]