kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Terry, what it does is...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 16, 2000 at 15:26:25:

In Reply to: Terry, what it does is... posted by EJ on November 16, 2000 at 13:53:04:

EJ,
I simply voiced my opinion, I'm not the first, or the only person on this forum or other lists to have done that!

I voiced my opinion and gave my reasons as to why
I don't believe sulcatas are a suitable species (in most cases) to be kept as pets in most of Europe.
I have a couple of large sulcatas and some smaller ones. I live in a climate that allows me to house them outdoors.
Even so the weather here can turn wet and at one point I brought my sulcata ( when I only had one)indoors at night.
She had her own room, but even so went stir crazy.
Ripping paint off the wall,ramming the door etc.
It was also extremely messy and smelly!
And that was just overnight.
Many people who buy those cute little hatchlings have no idea what they've let themselves in for.
And there are quite a few who will soon realise that keeping a big sulcata indoors for 9 months of the year is not going to work for them.
What happens to the tortoise then? There are only so many places that are willing to take them.
Of course there are people willing to spend vast amounts of money on indoor housing etc, but the average pet owner isn't.

If anyone wants to offer their opinion and explain why they think sulcatas would do great in the European climate I'm all ears.
Maybe they can add a list of European countries with a suitable climate to house them outdoors too.

If my posts offended anyone I'm sorry.
All I did was voice my opinion, not demand that anyone agree with me.
I'm open to debate on the subject.

But I just can't see the point of exporting large numbers of sulcatas to Europe, when they're already available if somebody really wants them.

Just my opinion and not meant in any way to offend anybody who may disagree.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]