kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: About sulcatas and Europe. RE: No coment PIC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 15, 2000 at 19:40:30:

In Reply to: About sulcatas and Europe. RE: No coment PIC posted by JM on November 15, 2000 at 19:14:25:

There are plenty of Sulcata breeders in the US and in Europe.
In the US sulcatas are the most commonly bred species of tortoise in captivity..

Many hundreds if not thousands of cb sulcatas hatch each year, and hatchlings go for around $30 -$99 at pet stores, reptile shows or in bulk or individualy from breeders.

Many unwanted sulcatas are already turning up both in the US and in Europe (two recent cases in the UK).

Although you live in the Canary Islands which is somewhat warmer during the winter months than most of Europe!

Most European countries do not have a suitable climate for sulcatas.
And most people who buy those cute sulcata hatchlings in Europe, will not be able to house them as 150 lb and up adults.

Sulcatas are the most commonly bred species of tortoise in captivity, and yes there are many " huge" breeders in the US.
Thankfully the cost of sending the hatchlings to Europe doesn't make it worth the breeders time. And I'm still not sure if the EEC permits sulcata imports.

I keep sulcatas,adults and juveniles, I live in Hawaii. One thing I won't be doing is breeding them.
There are enough unwanted sulcatas as it is, and it will only get worse.

I would stick to a species that isn't as prolific,
if you want to get into breeding.
A species that needs all the help it can get.
Several come to mind as unfortunately there are quite a few.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]