kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: bedding suggestions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tcc on November 09, 2000 at 00:28:18:

In Reply to: bedding suggestions posted by Bob E. on November 08, 2000 at 18:41:50:

: Hi,finding alot of confusion on bedding just got a baby sulcata read that reptile carpet was good mine was trying to eat it so i tryied sand kept sticking to his feet after his tromp through his water.Then read that alfalfa hay was good then heard it was not good for babies too much fiber.Please help i love this little guy and want what's best.Also a breeder told me that pretty pets tortoise food was great as 80percent of their diet.Thanks alot

Hi,
I like the hay because its edible, affordable to change it often, aids in righting themselves should the get flipped over and they love to burrow in it. Can you tell I like the stuff?
I cant think of a single pelleted food that is actually healthy. They tend to push it b/c of the mark up.
These tortoise require about 70% grasses in the wild. If you can set up a grazing area in your yard that isnt untreated, this would be ideal.
Here is a list of the easier to find healthier choices ok?
(Remember, think variety)
Regularly:
Dandelion, Chicory, Clover, Escarole, Radicchio, Endive, Opuntia Cactus
(despined or smooth) Watercress,Plantain, Chickweed, Other misc. edible
weeds- (not chemically treated) Hibiscus flowers and leaves, Grape leaves,
Mulberry leaves, Sow thistle and Romaine, Orchard and Timothy Hay.

Occasionally: Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Fig leaves, Carrots, Carrot
Tops,Romaine, Red Leaf Lettuce, Turnip Greens, Apples, Collard greens,
Mustard Greens,

Rarely: Kale, Swiss chard, Broccoli, Bokchoy, Iceberg lettuce, Parsley,Beet
Greens, Fruit in general.

*Never* feed Spinach, Cabbage, Green Beans, Or any kind of beans for that
matter.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: