kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Which breed is best?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 06, 2000 at 13:14:02:

In Reply to: Re: Which breed is best? posted by Elizabeth on November 06, 2000 at 12:25:26:

Cara,
I agree with Elizabeth.
You can't house different species together, so if you get a tortoise of a differnt species, you must provide another enclosure.
I keep 4 different species, each species is housed seperately and NEVER comes into contact with another species.

I keep sulcatas, the adults have around a quarter of an acre to roam in. The juveniles enclosure is 20'-30'. But the two 8" sulcatas are quickly outgrowing it, and now roam the entire yard with the big guys.
In a small enclosure I would not mix sulcatas of such different sizes. But with the whole yard to explore they don't bother eachother.

My much smaller Russian torts are housed in a 20'-15' enclosure and have never come into contact with the sulcatas.
My box turtles have there own enclosure and so do my C. galbinifrons.

Different species have different needs, they require a different environments/diet etc.
And as Elizabeth mentioned cross contamination is a very real concern.

Even if you get another tortoise of the SAME species, it must be quarantined for at least 3 months, or better still 6.
It should have no contact with the sulcata you have already, during this time.

Visit the Tortoise Trust FAQ linked below for commonly asked tortoise questions/answers.
I would stick to the one sulcata you have, and really recommend you subcribe to a tortoise email list.
You will find a sulcata list at Sulcata Station or go to the Tortoise Trust web site and subscribe to their list.

Hope this helps,
Terry.

Here's the Link, at the Top of the linked page you will find the FAQ, you will also find a sulcata care sheet.
At the left of the linked page you will find a link to subscribe to the Tortoise Trust email/discussion list. I recommend you subscribe, it's free and will put you intouch with over 600 tortoise keepers worldwide.
If you just want a sulcata list, go to Sulcata Station and sign up to their list.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]