kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Mating sulcatas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Peter on November 05, 2000 at 13:15:34:

I have a captive bred 45 pound 6-7 year old male sulcata that I raised fom a hatchling. I just bought a pair of 12 year old wild caught sulcatas that have been in the U.S. for 7 years. The female is 70 pounds and the male is 50. They reportedly had been breeding all summer, although the female has never laid a clutch of eggs. My question is: how picky are female sulcata's in choosing a mate? My preference would be to sell the male of the pair I just bought, and put the female with the male I have raised. Will she likely accept him as a mate? Right now I am keeping the new tortoises separate until I have determined that they are completely free of any diseases. The problem is that I have one really good pen, and another that is less than ideal. As long as I have two males, I assume I will always have to keep them separate, and one will remain in the "less than ideal" pen. So, I really would like to sell off one of the males ASAP, and preferably it would be the one I just bought.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]