kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: My Sulcata Isn't Eating!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 04, 2000 at 12:42:55:

In Reply to: Re: My Sulcata Isn't Eating! posted by Georgia on November 04, 2000 at 12:16:23:

Cara,
exactly how big is your tortoise?
As Georgia mentioned although they don't live in water, and infact come from an arid environment, they still need water.
Do you ever see stools in the enclosure, or urates?
Urates are soft white deposits and are normal.

I would soak him twice a week, or every 2-3 days
depending on his size.
Soak him in shallow baby bath warm water. Soak him in a tupperware or something similar, it should be large enough for him to stretch right out and be able to turn round in.
The water should only come up to the bottom of his chin, or where his top shell ( carapace) meets the bottom shell ( plastron).
Soak him for around 10 minutes each time, if the water gets too cool replace it with more luke warm 9 not hot) water.
Once he's had his soak, dry him off and put him back in his enclosure.

You mentioned that you feed lettuce (as well as other foods) don't just feed one type offer a variety each feeding.
Endive, romaine lettuce, escarole, chicory,dandelion, watercress (the large variety).
You can feed hibiscus flowers, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves, grasses, clovers and opuntia cactus.

Anyway, give the little tortoise a nice soak today and depending on his size ( hatchling to yearling) soak him every three days.

You can also leave water in his enclosure, for small tortoises the lid of a small tupperware container works well.
It's flat and very shallow.

You will find lots of sulcata info at Sulcata Station, I linked it in my last post.

Find a vet, very important as at some point you may need to seek veterinarian attention.

Here are some web sites to help you find a reptile vet near you, call the ones nearest you and ask if they see tortoises:

http://www.sonic.net/melissk/society.html#United States

http://www.arav.org/

Below I've linked Turtle Cafe, you will find enclosure ideas, lists of edible plants and you can order cactus from Teresa, or visit the many other web sites linked from Turtle Cafe.
Hope this helps,
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]