kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Torts - - advice, please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on November 01, 2000 at 14:26:07:

In Reply to: Russian Torts - - advice, please posted by Livi on November 01, 2000 at 13:22:23:

Hi Livi,
I don't know of your sulcata incident, but it's a good thing to thouroughly research all aspects of the species you're interested in, before purchasing it.
What type of tortoise are you looking for, small or big?
Do you intend to house it indoors or out, or out for the summer, in for the winter?
How much space do you have for outdoor/indoor enclosures?

I keep Russians and sulcatas, not together though!

I live in a warm climate and house them outdoors year round.
It won't get cold enough here for the Russians to hibernate, and I won't be hibernating them in a fridge either.
Unless the tortoise is 100% healthy, of good weight and you know what you're doing, I wouldn't hibernate.
A tortoise shouldn't be hibernated the first year it's purchased, as there might be underlying health problems, that have not yet revealed themselves.

It's quite possible to not hibernate. You must keep up the temperatures during the winter and keep conditions/temperatures the same as during the summer.

Keep in mind that the Russians in the pet stores are almost always wild caught, so they must see a vet and be tested for parasites and recieve a good check up.

I would do your research and eliminate species that are too big/small, wouldn't do well in the climate in your area etc.

Russians don't get very big, neither do Hermann's or Greek tortoises.
If you're looking for a smaller species, one of them might be suitable.

Marissa has a Hermann's so I'm sure she can help you out with info on them. They are smallish, very attractive torts.
I can't offer much advise on Russians if you're thinking of housing it indoors. As I have never kept tortoises indoors.
But kept outdoors in a decent climate, ( they can't tolerate cold/damp conditions)they are hardy, active tortoises.
I'm sure they can do well indoors too, if given a roomy enclosure.I believe Marissa houses her Hermann's indoors most of the year and can be much more help on that particular species.

Let us know a bit more about the type of tortoise you're looking for, how much space you can provide, and the climate in your area. That will help to eliminate some species, and find one that will be suitable for you.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]