kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Another pic for scale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Christine on February 10, 2002 at 22:15:30:

In Reply to: Big Sulcata (pic) posted by Christine on February 10, 2002 at 22:14:30:

Me and my Sweetie.

Peace,
~Christine

: Hi~

: I just would like to offer my experience with the Sulcata I house. It goes against the "incorrect diet, accelerated growth" theory. I'm not saying anyones advice is bad or wrong, but I am saying that there is not a hard and fast rule for this stuff.

: "Suka" is about 4 years old. We were told he was about 1 years old when he came to live with us. At that time he was about 7 inches long and over 3 pounds, and he was pyramided. He was not fed correctly the first year of his life.

: However, for the past 3 years, Suka has been outside in the spring, summers (and fall, if it's still nice) and on the correct diet. He grazes when he's outside and when he's in he eats sweet meadow grass hay, prickly pears, cactus pads and some (very little) dried out store bought greens. On Sundays, he does receive some treats, like some red leaf lettuce.

: Today, at age 4, he weighs in at 27 lbs. and he is about 16 inches long. He is no longer pyramiding, but he may never smooth entirely.

: So, even though he has been on a correct diet and good environment, he still grows and grows and grows.... Sometimes I think he may set a record for the worlds largest Sulcata.

: (:
: Peace,
: ~Christine

: : are you ever going to get around to posting pictures of your
: : animals?? If you have I apologize, I missed it. You give out
: : tons of advice and readily criticize others for "incorrect feeding,
: : accelerated growth etc..." just like to see your perfectly managed
: : pets. Not everyone's perfect and I don't think anyone has
: : the right answers for growth and size differences, then there
: : are some of us that just do the best we can and love our pets
: : anyway.
: : I know myself and others have offered to post your pictures
: : for you, I'm starting to wonder what you're hiding. It's hard
: : to put pics out there for public view (and often criticism) but
: : it's worth it if it helps or encourages even one person.

: : - your comments on the Turtle forum just irked me I suppose.

: : niki

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]