kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Torts...big sale - you got it Terry......now for some thoughts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by m chambers on October 30, 2000 at 18:22:43:

In Reply to: Re: Russian Torts...big sale - No, try again someone......... posted by Terry on October 30, 2000 at 16:40:06:

on various before post on : I bought the "sick" tortoise to save its life, I called the animal control/abuse center.
Okay, let's go with the purchase of sick or "I couldn't stand the condition" reptiles. Normally the store that some of you did this to showed a sale. In turn it was processed as a sale to the corporate office. It didn't matter whether the animal was bought sick or the felt sorry for thing. So this sale probably tallied for a total of sales by this company and if a LOT of torts were sold they will again consider this animal for their chains.
Next is the animal abuse thing. I called several cities animal control offices that do respond to animal abuse/cruelty and a local chapter of the animal humane society and found out what may happen to the animals themselves. It happened to me years ago when I was sent a miss-marked animal shipment that also contained some protected species. The animals may be destroyed,or held for evidence with no more knowledge than the petstore. Then there was a case some years ago (and who knows if this may not still happen) where the petstore was cited and told not to sell certain animals on display and was destroyed by the store itself.
It is hard to say what to do in a situation like this when one knows of some of the consequences. In no way am I saying this store/chain does this but others seemingly has in the past.

M chambers

: If it's Petco they often have these sales on Russian torts.
: Many too sick to save even with prompt vet care once purchased.
: And of course many are purchased by people who have no idea, never take it to a vet, keep it in a tank and then wonder why it dies.

: I don't see imports decreasing soon, but wonder how much more over collecting the wild population can withstand.

: CB Russians will become more common hopefuly in the next few years, as imports reach maturity and breed.
: It's a sad state of affairs, but it's been going on for years with no sign of stopping :(

: Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]