kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: RUSSIAN Tortoise Q's...HELP- I HAD SAME PROB

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on October 30, 2000 at 13:17:50:

In Reply to: RUSSIAN Tortoise Q's...HELP posted by Jan Edgell on October 30, 2000 at 12:38:45:

: Jan,
I had the EXACT SAME PROB
Only my tort was under 299 - he was 270
and actually dropped to 266
My Son and I HAD TO syringe feed him 3cc (twice a day with an infant medicine syringe) Had the vet show us how and it actually got easier.
I was just about to give up hope on him ever eating on his own again, but one day, he did.
He has since stopped again, and I syringe feed him every other day that he does not eat on his own, to get his appetite back up.
I would not wait... Listen to your vet.
the worms are nasty things and they can cause nasty prob with your tort. Yes, he wants to go into hibernation, but you MUST stop him from doing so, or it is sure doom. If you need to talk to someone, you can e-mail me. Cause This is a long recovery and I am still going thru it.
You may make progress and then fall back, I believe that is in part contributed to the fact that he wants to hibernate and is trying to stay cool and sleepy. I have to make sure he doesn't hide all day in his cool spot, make sure his warm spot is warm enough, and wake him a couple of times a day, and take him outside for a cruise around if it is nice enough. Poor thing is still confused (well he isn't but he doesn't know that if he hibernated at this point, it would be fatal)

Questions I have for you...
Where do you live?
What type of set-up do you have?
What temp is his basking and what is his cool spot, and what temp at night.
How long have you had your Russian?
How many wormings has he/she had?
Do you soak your tort and was it dehydrated?
Did the vet give it a Vit A shot?

Like I said, I am still going thru this, so maybe we can help each other out. I have been going thru this for awhile now, and he is doing OK, back and forth, but OK. After 2 wormings, I got his stool checked today, haven't gotten the results yet, but I will let everyone know!
Good Luck,
Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]