kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Skinned Desert Tortoise - WHY!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Annie Lancaster-TortosieAid on October 26, 2000 at 15:09:24:

In Reply to: Re: TERRY Re: Skinned Desert Tortoise - WHY!!! posted by Leslie on October 26, 2000 at 13:07:26:

: : : Why On EARTH would someone do such a thing like that... and continue it for some time.

Well, he was kept indoors for what appears to be a number of years..he wasn't skinned until shortly before he was brought to me, he was a bloody mess! The first photos taken of him on that web page were about a week after he arrived here. Whoever it was, they obviously want to make something from his scales...a bracelet, a belt, yuck!

My greatest fear is that he is not the only one, that there are more tortoises being treated like he was. Whoever did this used surgical precision, they knew what they were doing, and yes, it is sick. Evil actually. I didn't sleep for a few days after I got him...I could hardly stand to look at him because it made (and still makes me) soooo angry!!!!!! I called one of my tortoise friends over here after he arrived, we both just sat on the floor with him...with no words...just looked at each other teary eyed...and the anger...ya just can't describe that feeling.

: Looks as if that person had their fun,
: but how much fun can that be, can't they see that it hurts!!

Course they can see that, but do ya think that someone who would do something like that to a defenseless tortoise actually cares??? I think one of the things that gets me most is that he couldn't even cry out in pain, he suffered in silence, and that breaks my heart. :-( He was fully conscious during all of this...and there are also vice-grip marks on his gular scute.

: Wish we could catch that person and SKIN THEM!

Well, that was in all honesty one of the NICER thoughts I've had....

He is going to be OK (I hope) but, will never be "normal" and will live his life out in sanctuary here with me. He is a very special tortoise, has endured what none of us could ever even imagine, and has really earned a place in my heart. Others who keep desert torts in this area stop in to ask about him and to visit him...he is a sweetie.

I will add him to my elementary school curriculum this spring if he is well enough, to show children what cruelty to animals really means...
I am one who believes that seeing is believing, and kids, while impressionable are going to be the best at stopping cruelty in it's tracks when they grow up. When they see something as sweet but as badly maimed as him, they never forget.

Hopefully, this will never, ever happen again.

Annie (and Dignity)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]