kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please Read ALL and Give your Input!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on October 21, 2000 at 14:10:02:

In Reply to: Please Read ALL and Give your Input!! posted by SouthernRocker on October 21, 2000 at 13:15:15:

I used to baby my torts/turts , but I have too many now, plus other pets, husband and a daughter too!
I've found that tortoises and turtles are very independant critters.
Of course everything they need must be provided, and vet care is a must if they show signs of illness.
I used to worry about every little thing though, and rushed them off to the vet for just about everything. I ended up spending hundreds, if not at least a thousand dollars on vet bills!When nothing was wrong with them.
Now I just provide their food, water and let them enjoy a peacefull life without much disturbance from me.
It does make it a lot easier when they can be housed outdoors though, I have to admit.
All my tortoises have huge enclosures, the larger sulcatas the whole yard.
The sulcatas and russians graze and I grow most of their food. They come out in the morning, bask, graze, rest and roam around. In the evening even the smallest torts make their way back to their shelters/sheds/burrows for the night.
The turtles hunt their own bugs/slugs etc and really take care of themselves.
I provide clean water and extra food, and thats about it.
Even my new hatchlings are in their own enclosure, I rarely see them, but they are doing just fine, hunting their own food.
I baby my dogs and birds much more than my torts.
Any pet deserves the best treatment, medical care etc and tortoises are no different. However, I've found that in the right environment tortoises/turtles can pretty much take care of themselves.
Which is a good thing when you have a lot of them!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]