kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Aladar and his condition - One thing after another! (long!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on October 19, 2000 at 12:34:05:

In Reply to: Re: Aladar and his condition - One thing after another! (long!) posted by Leslie on October 19, 2000 at 11:03:39:

Leslie,
I can certainly believe that you are frustrated and tired. Having worked very hard with a very sick Russian, I know how it is.
Can you explain your set up exactly for us, substrate, size, temperatures etc.
I believe in one of your posts you mentioned soaking, how often do you soak?
I never soak my Russians, they have a small water dish to drink from, but I never see them drinking.
I wouldn't soak your tortoise much at all, every two weeks if you have to, but not much more than that.If he's completely of his food, maybe once a week, to keep him hydrated.
I know you are already, but watch for more bubbles, it could be a sign of a respiratory problem. Or it could be caused by the substrate irritating the nares.
Can you explain your set up in detail, and a typical day in the life of Aldar!
As far as the worms, it can take a few treatments to clear up the problem. Make sure that the substrate is changed daily or as soon as he soils it, so he can't reinfest himself.
Is there any way for you to provide Aldar with an outdoor enclosure?
I think tortoises do so much better outdoors.
Even if it's just for the summer months, or somewhere safe for him to enjoy on warmer days.
When I got my first Russian, he was kept in a Rubbermaid until his outdoor enclosure was built.
He would hide all the time in the leaves I provided. He wasn't very active and had terrible runny stools.
As soon as he went into his outdoor enclosure he became a different tortoise.He's out and about , roaming around, digging exploring etc.
I really believe that tortoises do much better outdoors.
I realise that not everyone lives in an area where the climate allows them to house their torts outdoors. But even if it's just for the summer months, it's worth it.
Tortoises have home ranges. In their outdoor enclosure my two Russians each have their night time holes, they dug. And favorite resting/digging
hanging out places.And their eating area, when they're hungry they hang out in the area I place their food. They are very easy to keep, as the enclosure provides all their needs.All I do is feed them every day or other day and change the water, trim the grass.
Try to provide a routine for Aldar, feed him at the same time every day, after around 11-12 or even a bit later when he's warmed up and worked up an appetite. Place his food in the same spot daily, make sure he has drinking water and don't worry about soaking too much.
Every ten days is more than enough, if he's outdoors you can give up soaking altogether, as long as he has a drinking dish.Even indoors, as long as he's eating and has a drinking dish, no need to soak him.
Sorry this is soooo long!
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]