kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Aladar and his condition - One thing after another! (long!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on October 19, 2000 at 11:03:39:

In Reply to: Re: Free Cactus Berries- I sent my order in... posted by Terry on October 18, 2000 at 17:44:08:

Aladar has been a concern to me for a couple of months now, one thing after another.
Yes, I think he is trying to hibernate... Don't think I have any ques on that one. Prob is - they found worms (after two tests) and he has been wormed twice. This happened AFTER he started NOT eating (which I believe is a combo of the two prob) We are syringe feeding him and he seemed to be coming along... I still offer him fresh food everyday. All the things you mention (except hibiscus) He seemed to be doing OK, and even grazing a bit when I took him outside in the sun (last Sat) BUT NOW...
He was at the vet last Fri and all seemed fine, but
this morning, I was feeding him and he blew a bubble out each nostril (clear) and I wiped it and continued to feed him. I observed him for about 5 min or so and it did not happen again. Eyes are clear and nothing coming out of them.
He was fine on Friday, how could this have happened... I called the vet today and I am awaiting her call back. This little guy has cost me a good deal of $$, and I am trying to nurse him back to health, I think once Spring comes - things will be OK, if only I can get him thru the winter....
I am very concerned. One thing after another.
And no I am NOT trying to hibernate him, much to the contrary - trying to stop his desire to do so...
So far, the only thing I seem to be doing is keeping him alive. I took him outside yesterday and let him roam (it was 76 degrees) and he seemed to enjoy that. But still no eating on his own and although I only saw those two clear bubbles, I am truly concerned.... Why? I am trying the best I can, but obstacles keep getting in my way! I am frustrated and tired!
Thanks
Leslie

: Leslie,
: is Aldar your Russian?
: Is he not eating much?
: Here's what I offer my pair of Russians:
: A mixture of Romaine, endive with grated carrot and squash.
: That's their base diet, I add watercress, hibiscus and other foods to the mix and as they're housed outdoors they nibble on grass/plants weeds.
: But they always come running for their endive/romaine/carrot/squash mix.
: Hope Aldar starts getting his appetite back, he could be trying to hibernate. If this is his first year with you I wouldn't hibernate him though.If he's not 100% healthy, hibernation is risky.
: Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]