kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: hibernation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on October 18, 2000 at 16:14:36:

In Reply to: Re: hibernation posted by maria on October 13, 2000 at 22:56:55:

I got my Russian in May of this year. Didn't find out until recently that he had worms (although he was checked twice - the second time we found them) He is going thru a tough time - (but he is coming along and making progress) as when we found out he had stopped eating due to the worms and the start of hibernation. He is a little mixed up and I am sure he didn't feel too good either.
I am overwintering my tort this winter too. My vet says until he is 300 - 350 grams (and not until next year) should I let him hibernate. What I am doing right now is keeping him at 80-85 degrees (at his basking spot) during the day and taking him outside on nice days 60 degrees and SUNNY and up. He cruises around and then tries to burrow, at that time I bring him in for the night. I have been soaking him once daily (As he was dehydrated when I first took him into the vet - now staying hydrated - so I think I am going to go to once every other day on the soaking thing) Since I have to syringe feed him until he starts eating on his own again, he gets woke up at least 2 times during the day, keeping him from starting the hibernation process again. If your tort is eating, pooping and passing urates normally, I would do what I am doing (keeping the temps and making sure that the tort doesn't sleep ALL the time) They will slow down a good bit during the winter. Now I have a question... Since no one answered your question on temp for hibernation:
1. What is the lowest temp you can hibernate
2. What is the highest temp and,
what is the average you should keep the tort at.
3. Has anyone in Colo hibernated their tort and,
4. what EXACTLY is Refrigeration Hibernation

With that said, hopefully, both of us can find some answers....
I find the people on this forum, very knowledgeable!

: My vet just doesn't think it's possible to create the right hibernating enviornment in captivity. And aside from that she doesn't think 2 months is enough time to say for sure that the tort is 100% healthy.
: So my next question is this - how does one overwinter a tortoise? Should I just keep the light time and temperature at summer levels and let her get as sluggish as she wants? I mean she spends maybe an hour basking and eats every 2-3 days (or she's been doing that for the past week.) Is this normal overwintering behavior?
: Thanks,
: Maria

: : why did your vet say that your tortoise shouldn't hibernate? is it because you recently got it, or because he doesn't believe in hibernating tortoises? if i were you i'd overwinter it this year and hibernate it in the fridge next year, once you are assured it is 100% healthy and ready.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]