kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Questions from soon to be new Sulcata owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Giovanni on October 10, 2000 at 05:45:10:

In Reply to: Questions from soon to be new Sulcata owner posted by Joey Buchan on October 10, 2000 at 01:01:53:

*There's so much information out there and some of it seems to conflict with each other.

Well Joey, can't say ya haven't learned the 1st things about owning torts..lol.

*What is the best heating/light setup? Is it better for above heating with a heat lamp, and under the tank mat, or a combination of both?

In my opinion I would have a spot for the undertank heater, and another spot for the Lamp.
Have your hottest area (the lamp) at about 90 - 100 degrees, you can buy an incandesent blub at Walmart for 2 dollars, or buy one at the pet store for $10.00. Somepeople will tell you don't use an undertank heater, but if you buy a 10 dollar Walmart heating pad and sandwich it bewtween 2 pieces of ceramic tile and keep it on low , it will be fine.

*What percentage of the enclosure should be heated and how much should be "cooler". Anyone recommend any specific brands of heaters or lamps?

Zone the tank, make a hot zone..then a warm zone. Your over all temp should be 75 to 85 degrees. Make a hide box in the enclosure and keep it in the cooler zone.

*What do you recommend as a good starter enclosure for a hatchling?

I recommend building a 60 gallon breeder tank, it will probably be good for about 2 years. Here's some specs of one I built.

*Everything I've read said that they prefer something "open-aired" and not something closed off and stuffy like an aquarium. I was thinking of a very large rabbit or gunea pig cage. I know this will only last a few months before we have to move to something larger, but wouldn't something about about 36" x 18" be adequate for a hatchling for up to 6 or 8 months?

Yes, probably.

*I've also heard not to put them in something they can see through as this distresses them.

They have never told me they were suffering from distress. Mainly you want their vision to be opaqued, because they have a real passion for BUSTING through things..lol

*What about bedding? Whats the best type and does anyone have any suggestions on keeping it clean?

For a hatchling I would recommend Rabbit pellets, it's easy to keep them from consuming it when it's eating, and easy to clean and replace. It isn't very pretty but everthing I tried before settling with Orchard Grass hay, was that.

: What about vitamins? Some people say yes, some say they're not needed as long as the diet is healthy? Whats everyone's opinion?

It is advised that you supplement the diet with a D3 Calcuim supplement. Rep Cal is a good one, you can get it at most petstores, just a gentle sprinkle on the food everyday . Also get a cuttlebone and toss that in the enclosure also (try and remove the hard back 1st). Other people use a multi vitamin too, But I don't so I can't comment.

: What about fruits?

I wouldn't feed a hatchling any other fruit then a prickley pear. Remeber, year one is very critical in the growth stage.

I know they're grazers and almost everything says greens and leafy vegetables, but I'm also seeing alot from people saying to offer variety in their diet and offer fresh fruits several times a week.

I think those people are being offered LSD several times a week. This is a Desert Tortoise and there isnt many produce stands in the Sahel.

: I ordered some tortoise grazing mix seeds from Turtle Cafe. I plan on planting them in several shallow pans and setting them in my windows to sprout and then rotate one tray in his pen each day so he can graze throughout the day after being fed his primary food in the morning. Does this sound like a good idea, or is maybe this too much food and I should just clip off abit each day and put it in with his food. Seems to me like a good way to keep him busy during the day.

I think it sounds great, teach it to graze early.

: While we're on the subject of plants. What would be a good plant or two to put in his area. Something that would make his cage look nice, but would be ok for him to munch on if he wanted to?

Don't plant anything in the cage, use the removeable tray idea.

: Can anyone suggest any good books...other than the idiots guide? I've read that and just about anything & everything I can find on the net about these guys.

Anything by Peter Pritchard on chelonians is awesome. Also become a member of the African Tortoise list on Egroups.com.

Take it easy. Read more on the tank construction below.

Ciao'

Giovanni

*Material

6 - 34" cut 1 1/2 X 3/4 furring strip planks

4 - 17" cut 1 1/2 X 3/4 furring strip planks

8 - 14" cut 1 1/2 x 3/4 furring strip planks

6 - 21" cut 1 1/2 X 3/4 furring strip planks

1 - 21" X 35" cut thin bottom (something cheap and thin)

Wood should cost about $12.00 total, and you can get
someone at HomeDepo to cut it for you.
4 - small angle brackets
2 - small hinges
4 - rolls of Galvanized fence, or cheap plastic fence to cover 2 areas 31" X 14"(sides), 1 area 34" X 18"(top) 2 areas 14" X 17 3/4".

NOTE: Those are the open area's you will need extra all the way around to staple to the inside of the wood.

6 - sticky back 12 X 12 linoleum tile squares for the bottom

1 box - 1 1/2 Wood screws

You will need a screw gun, and a stapleGUN ( not "Ler") with at least 1/2 inch staples.

Some sand paper, and maybe some wood clamps if your not strong enough to hold the wood together, or dont have extra hands to do so.

Hammer and small tack nails.

Other things you should get:

A heating pad from Walmart or somewhere, 12 x 12 10 bucks A heatlamp, 60 watt bulb
2 - 13 x 13 Ceramic Tile Squares - 5 bucks for the both

Of course, don't forget the full spectrum UVB..if you didn't have it already.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]