kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: i am worried about my sulcuta can anyone help?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Sharon E. Chancellor on March 18, 2002 at 11:52:49:

In Reply to: i am worried about my sulcuta can anyone help? posted by tressa on March 18, 2002 at 08:43:51:

: hi all. could anyone answer a concern i have? my large guy has a noticiably new pink line running along his tummy and it seens slightly softer then it has been in the past. i have them on a varied green diet (all forum approved foods!!) as well as a amall amount of pellets and veggies, i have uva/uvb lighting and have them out side as much as possible the temps are good and the food gets fortified 3x a week. is the line something i need to be concerned about? he is 2 1/2 years old and about 8 inches one other question
: To much of what kind of food will give them loose stools? i have not changed there diet but a family member gave them a couple pieces of apple and then it started. Not to worry they wont be feeding without approval anymore!!!
: i would love some advise

Hi Tressa,
Apple can give them loose stool if they are not used to getting it in their diet. The high sugar content can loosen up the best of us!Very good observation on your part, BTW.
Growth lines like the one you are mentioning I have seen in several species here. I think it is safe to say that tortoises can go through growth spurts where they will lay down quite a bit of new growth in a short amout of time, even on a low protein diet. New growth is very vascular and will often be very pink, but not blood red. It will looked slightly flushed, as if blushing, and can intensify as you hold the animal and you may be able to see the change as it happens. Hope this is a good description! It will also be softer than the older growth that preceeded it. The entire plastron and carapace should be nice and from though.

It sounds like you are providing an excellent diet and proper lighting/heating. I assume you are feeding lots of calcium as well when you say "fortified"?

Hope this helps you some.
--Sharon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]