kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HELP -- Thank you!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Livi on October 06, 2000 at 10:15:03:

In Reply to: Re: HELP posted by Giovanni on October 05, 2000 at 18:04:30:

OK..thank you for your help. I made a very difficult decision, but I took Annabelle Lee back to the pet store. I don't think that I would have been able to take care of her. It was hard because I fell in love with her soooooo quickly, but it was for the best. I don't know why they are selling these animals in UPSTATE NEW YORK!!! It doesn't make sense. They took her back because I threatened to call the better business bureau. Maybe when I graduate from Law school and move to the south I will buy another one (though I don't think it will feel the same). But until then, does anyone have any idea on what sort of turtle/tort would be good for an apartment? Are there any small breeds?

: : HELP!!! I just purchased a Salcatta Tortoise, yesterday as a matter of fact. The main problem is...IT WAS AN IMPULSE BUY!!!!!

: Well don't worry you you just learned an important lesson. 1st lets start by getting the spelling correct ( not that I'm anal retentive mind you). What you purchased is an African Spurred Tortoise,(Geochelone Sulcata) the worlds third largest spieces and is more of a dependant than a pet. Welcome:)

:
: :The people at the pet store were so willing to sell the tortoise (whom I named Annabelle Lee) that they didn't tell me all the details.

: People at Petstores mostly get paid on commission in order to live, which explains why you are in the boat you are in now.

: : Now I have been looking up information on the web, and I know that my home is not adequate for this tortoise when it gets older. How fast do they grow? I live in an apartment now, in Upstate NY.

: Depends on the tortoise regarding their growth. I wouldn't give you 2 years in that Apt. before

Thankyou needed the house, with a BIG yard.

:
: :Will my tortoise be small enough for the next four years or so until I buy a house? PLEASE HELP!!!

: Ya need to ask the tortoise that..Here's what you need to start doing.

: 1st. Go here
: http://www.sonic.net/~melissk/sulcata.html
: And read that

: 2nd. Go here
: http://sulcatastation.homestead.com/
: And read that, and get some care sheets so your feeding it correctly.

: 3rd. Go here
: http://www.egroups.com
: subcribe to the "African Tortoise" list so when you questions you can post them on that board. They will help you alot with diet and are very nice.

: 4th. Spank your little rumpus for being an impluse buyer ya nuck nuck Knucklehead!!!lol.

: Ciao'

: Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]