kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Hybel on September 29, 2000 at 13:07:32:

In Reply to: is my russian tortoise ok? posted by donia on September 28, 2000 at 17:47:12:

1. Donia, all Russians are wild caught and some have parasites or are dehydrated from their long trek from Eastern Europe to your pet store.

2. Read the post of 9/25 from Leslie. She has a Russian that was dehydrated and the vet helped her tort. Call around the vets in your area to find one familiar with turt/tort care.

3. I had a Russian in the past and have now a Hermann's tortoise. I like the book on Mediterranean tortoises by Brian Pursall (TFH pub.). He recommends what I think you already have, a basking incandescent light at one end of the enclosure (60- or 75-watt bulb, depending on distance to your tort). You can measure the temp of the basking spot under the lamp with a thermometer. I use a 75-watt about 18" above the Hermann's substrate and he sits under it each morning to warm up and then go grazing.

4. If you want to hold off on the vet visit for a few days, make sure the basking spot is nice and warm (85-100 deg. F) and put Mendel underneath each morning. See if he will eat afterwards. If not, take him for a vet checkup to one familiar with torts.

5. A UV bulb is recommended for Vitamin D3 and calcium (usually from sunlight). You can dust his food once per week with a multivitamin with D3 (I use Repcal and Miner All). Repcal also makes a calcium product. You can add broken pieces of cuttlebone as well that he can eat (available at pet shops, sold for birds).

6. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]