kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Don't Worry, Try This

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Hybel on September 25, 2000 at 15:56:23:

In Reply to: Worried about my Russian (long sorry...) NEED HELP ASAP posted by Leslie on September 25, 2000 at 14:31:31:

I like the book by Brian Pursall on Mediterraneans (TFH pub.), critics of the TFH books notwithstanding, as follows:

I have kept a Russian indoors and now have a Hermann's. Pursall emphasizes that Mediterranean tortoises like to come out of hiding in the morning and bask under an overhead beam of sunlight for warmth/UV (incandescent 60- or 75-watt bulb indoors). When warmed up they go grazing.

I have found that this has worked well for me, and is currently working well for the Hermann's.

Three things come to mind:

1. If you have an incandescent basking spot already setup on one end of the enclosure, that's great. You may need to bring the tort out under the light each morning until it learns that it is there and comes to bask on its own.

2. Adding a red incandescent bulb for heat at night for a while may induce the desired behavior by raising the night temperature to that approximating the warm summer night temps that keep it active in the wild. This, of course, depends at what overall temperature you keep your house at night, as I know you mentioned you are keeping the ambient temp right.

3. In the summertime in the northern hemisphere where the Russian comes from the daylight period is longer than here, with sunrise around 4:00-4:30AM and sunset as late as 9:00-9:30PM. That gives a summer light cycle of 17 hours. You may want to adjust your light cycle accordingly (16 hours?) for a while.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]