kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Eating habits (Read)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Hybel on September 25, 2000 at 11:53:14:

In Reply to: Eating habits/age questions??? posted by Deb on September 24, 2000 at 18:31:43:

I currently have a Hermann's tortoise, related to russians as they both belong the group of tortoises referred to as "Mediterraneans", from NW Africa around the Mediterranean Sea to Western France.

I like the book on Mediterraneans by Brian Pursall (TFH pubs.). He describes the behavior of Mediterraneans to come out of burrows/hiding places in the morning to bask in the sun to warm up and then begin grazing.

I have found with the Hermann's, and a Russian I used to have, that with an incandescent 60- or 75-watt bult they come out every morning to bask under it and then go looking for food.

The hermann's currently and the russian previously ate every day with this basking spot in place. I also used Reptisun UV lamps for more widespread light as well. The only exception was a few times when, without external heat, the room became unusually cool and the russian would stay hidden for a few days, but resumed usual basking/eating when I put saran wrap over the usually-open areas of the enclosure to trap enough heat to bring the ambient temperature up to usual for the tortoise.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]