kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: LONG TIME EFECTS OF NOT HIDERNATING

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wl on September 23, 2000 at 17:38:26:

In Reply to: LONG TIME EFECTS OF NOT HIDERNATING posted by SK8ER on September 20, 2000 at 20:20:19:

There will always be opinions on the hibernation matter as with other issues. The problem with long term research is that there is very little. We usually speak of long term research as ten or fifteen years. This is way below the possible life span of these creatures. Secondly, we rarely to valid scientific research on these issues. We do not have thousands of tortoises for the test sample and control group. We do not control our experiments to insure there is only one variable. Even on this question now, we compare torts kept in England compared to those in Southern California, etc. Opinions are good, but to draw accurate conclusions with this sparse information is invalid.

It is also difficult to compare captive existence to that in the wild. How much research and information is available on Russians hibernating in the wild. How many torts have been included in the study.

I love to read varying opinions because this will eventually lead to more research. But, I fear the only ones who will have the answer will be living in 2300 or later. Because with the live span of torts, it will take hundreds of years to truly determine under what conditions will a captive tort live 70, 80, or 100 or more years.

The reverse is also true regarding hibernating those chelonians who do not hibernate usually in the wild. Much literature states Gulf Coast boxes do not hibernate, but I have hibernated them for over twenty years and they were full size adults when I got them. Will they live to their expected age as they could have in the wild?

Don't know. But, they are breeding and doing well for twenty years. Is this a success? Don't know that either, but so far so good.

This was just a long-winded thought. But there are a large number of snakes that exists for their expected life span, and are kept indoors and never hibernate(though they would naturally). Some do not breed as readily as others if not cooled down, but I have known those who owned corns that bred every year, lived twenty years +, and never hibernated. How this relates to chelonian species is also questionable, but it is something to consider.

Keep up the thoughts, it will lead to better husbandry for all.

: HI EVERBODY,I MIGHT GET A PAIR OF SUB ADULT-ADULT RUSSIAN TORTOISES AND I HEARD THAT THIS BAD STUFF HAPPENS IF THEY DONT HIBERNATE IN THE LONG RUN,SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN HIBERNATE A TORTOISE?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]