kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Coexistence of races

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by EJ on September 20, 2000 at 13:00:37:

In Reply to: Re: Coexistence of races posted by Kathy on September 20, 2000 at 11:01:03:

As with everything else in biology there are no difinatives. Each situation should be determined on a case by case basis. Just as you should weigh out the plus and minus of even mixing species you should consider personality. My two largest female leopards were kept with a group of sulcatas that were aggressive. They both have some shell damage from these. The sulcatas were over 100 lb. There were 3.3 of them along with my largest females on 3/4 of an acre. This incedend made me consider very carefully if I wanted to even get sulcatas. I soon learned that they are not all like this. I adopted a sulcata not too long ago with the full intention of keeping it isolated from the others. (which meant it would have to be contained in a smaller enclosure) When it arrived I found it had a very laid back personality. I decided that it would probably obtain more benefit (be happier) by having the full run of the yard with my leopards than be restricted to an enclosure. As it stands now they just ignore each other. This is what works for me.
Basicly you need to use that gift god gave you (called a brain) and make your own decision based on the information that is available. One point I always try to get across is that there is no one way of keeping these animals. There are many choises. Some choices might even be considered risky by some people and not by others.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]