kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: is there a tortoise that can roam your house?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Julie on September 19, 2000 at 06:37:49:

In Reply to: is there a tortoise that can roam your house? posted by lee on September 17, 2000 at 00:25:55:

Years ago I knew a guy who had a tortoise that roamed his house freely. It was in Toronto and the house wasn't all that well heated, so the tortoise mostly stayed under a radiator in the living room. But when people came to visit, the tortoise (whose name was Quarfellow) would come out to check them out, then return to his place under the radiator. My meeting with Quarfellow was what inspired me, many years later, to get a tortoise of my own. I am no longer in contact with Quarfellow's keeper, and I have no idea what kind of tortoise he was. The tortoise was about 40 years old when I met him, and I believe he was about box turtle size. It never occurred to me to ask where he did his business or how they dealt with that. I have a tortoise of my own now, and I have dealt with the potty training issue by establishing a routine with my tortoise. He only pees and defecates once a day at feeding time. Having gotten this routine down, we can put him on newspaper to feed and watch him during and just afterward. The rest of the time he's free to roam (in one room that's kept warm enough for him--he's a South American tort, a redfoot) and he doesn't make a mess. Redfoots range from 13-18 inches, and need warm temps. Just watch electric cords, as tortoises will bite on them.
: one that is pretty big but not as big as a spur thighed not 200 pounds.

: lookinbg into tortoises,
: Lee

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]