kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Terry -

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on February 10, 2002 at 18:52:54:

In Reply to: Terry - posted by Niki on February 10, 2002 at 18:04:29:

I have copied and pasted my post here and don't see why it should "irk" you.
I simply stated that in the wild it takes around 15 years for sulcata to reach their adult size.
While in captivity overfeeding or an incorrect diet can cause accelerated growth and possibly pyramiding.This can make determining the age of a captive sulcata difficult.
Perfectly true and to me a 4 year old sulcata that measures 18" would suggest that the diet is a bit off.

I don't claim to have "perfectly managed pets". Two of my sulcata have pyramiding, they had it when I got them. And although it's improved a lot who knows if they would have ended up pyramided, had I had them since hatchlings.

I am lucky enough to have one sulcata with no pyramiding.
So what, I'm lucky maybe who knows, but yes I am proud of his smooth growth. This little tortoise has been outdoors during the day since I got him as a hatchling. He's on a decent diet (not a perfect one)but a decent diet. He's not overfed that's for sure and so far his growth is smooth.
Email me your address and I'll send you a photo of him, no problemo, if you want proof. LOL.And feel free to post the photo here if you so desire.
Terry.

My irksome post at the Turtle Forum:
Hi,
there really aren't many charts regarding size and weight for sulcata.
You're right though, that he should feel heavy. If he does and he's eating well and active, then chances are he's in good health.
Although I would always recommened a vet check for any new tortoise, make sure a fecal test is included to test for parasites (worms).

Age is also hard to determine, espcially with captive sulcata.
It should take 11-15 years for a sulcata to reach it's adult size.
In captivity however people tend to overfeed these tortoises, or feed a diet too high in protein for these grazing herbivores. This can lead to very accelerated growth, it's not uncommon to find young captive sulcata that are way too big for their age.

I know of 4 year old sulcata that are around 8"-10", which is whithin the normal range of around 2" growth per year.

Then there are people who report that their 4 year old sulcata measure 18"!!! That would suggest an incorrect diet and accelerated growth.
Accelerated growth is often acompanied by pyramiding (distorted scutes that grow upwards, forming pyramids) and other health problems.

I have a 55lb female sulcata who is around 8 years old.
I also have a one and a half year old sulcata who measures just over 3".This young sulcata has totally smooth growth, no pyramiding.

So the size of your tortoise will depend somewhat on the diet it's previous owner fed.And it's size might not be consistent with it's age.If it has been overfed, or fed an incorrect diet.

For more info try posting at the tortoise forum.
I've linked it here for you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]