kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Captive Bred..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KS on September 14, 2000 at 11:37:06:

In Reply to: Captive Bred.. posted by Kay on September 14, 2000 at 09:22:56:

: Just from my perspective, I WAS tempted to buy from an importer until I realized with shipping fees and vet fees, the price is just about the same. I bought captive bred and very glad I did. The price was just a little higher. An initial exam found nothing thing wrong..perfect in all ways. I also feel better about not jerking a wild animal from it's environment and stressing it almost to death for the *privilege* of being a companion animal. I would have a problem enjoying an imported animal when everytime I looked at him I knew others of his kind had died. Kerry, I commend you for your efforts but hopefully you will soon be selling captive bred animals. I suspect it will be better all around.
: Kay

I would never argue that a wild caught can compare to captive bred...I have mixed feelings about some of the animals I import, such as emeralds, which I sell 99% of to one person. When he tells me that most are sick, regurging, and dying, then I will stop it.So far, he tells me he wants more. I entered this business mainly to buy myself large dwarf caiman, 20lb yellowfoots, and breeder sized redfoots, all of which are not available in the U.S. as captive raised so that I could start a breeding operation. I have had to opportunity to import from Maylasia, Indonesia, Africa, and Madagascar, but here's nothing I want from there-if I were going to buy a blood python, there is no question that I would buy a U.S. CB one.

This issue is turning into a "PETA" issue-should we really be keeping any of these animals for pets at all? If you open your cage doors, are your snakes and tortoises going to head for the wilds, or are they going to hang around your house because they like it there? You can find a reason upset at whatever level of this hobby that you choose, no one is 100% exempt!

When I was in Guyana, I saw where the yellowfoots were"jerked" out of--the food market. Close the export trade, they will still get eaten. Last year they had a 30 in carapace redfoot that was sold for 25$ to a chinese food market-it was imperfect and Americans only want perfect for their pets!

Also when I was there, I convinced one exporter to take the redfoot eggs laying in his pens, plant them in his garden, and he has already released several hatchlings back into the jungle-he says it was no effort. I also showed him how to set up pens to breed dwarf caiman, and he is also attempting to captive breed emeralds there. Aren't they doing this with Chondros and other animals elsewhere?

I won't be doing this much longer anyway, it's definately minimally profitable and I have about everything I want for myself.

Hey, but it's been a fun discussion-my friends are telling me I'm nuts for getting involved in a discussion like this, and I should stay the &^%%* off of these forums..(they're right!) KS

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]