kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Worried about my Russian (Ans Kathy's ques)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on September 01, 2000 at 10:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: Worried about my Russian (long sorry...) posted by Kathy on August 31, 2000 at 00:53:26:

Well, the day after I posted Aladar ate like a pig... but yesterday was a minimal eating day.
Temps in the AM are around 60 now... I put him out and within an hour they are around 70-75. By mid day - 80-84.
Inside temp is around 75-80 (but yesterday it rained and the inside temp was around 70.

: You've hit on all the obvious things.

Let's look at things that are more abstract. Have you been handling him alot? No.

Is your inside temp quite a bit different from your outside temp?
Only the morning... Explanation above.

Any chance of pesticides on anything he's eating? No.
Where has he usually eaten -- inside or outside?
Always outside.

: I'm trying to think of other things....poops are firm? yes
How are the urates? look fine
Any chance of him eating the substrate that he's on causing impaction? Don't think so... I provide his food in a dish.

Getting lots of sun, or UVB? Well, he is outside all day, so if he doesn't hide all day I would have to say yes.
It's a male (for sure); no chance of eggs?
He has a long tail and the signs (that I have read about seem to point to male. I have had him since May. How long does it take for eggs to hatch... I really don't think he is female, but I will research that point further... What are signs of eggs?

: It may well be just a normal fluctuation with this particular tort. I am beginning to think this may be so.

Like the earlier advice, I'd watch for weakness or the obvious signs of illness. doesn't seem weak. Lazy sometimes, but not weak.

Sounds like you're doing a great job and doing what you can to keep him as healthy as possible. Have you tried all of these foods?
Wouldn't know where to get hibiscus flowers
Haven't tried apple or tomato
but he does like clover and ate it the other day in the yard.

There are my russians' favorites: red hibiscus flowers, bermuda grass, romaine lettuce (!), apple, clover, tomato. I know all of these foods are not *always* choices, but these are what I'd try if I suspected a problem.

Will do... (only in moderation of course... but he may just be being him) I will keep you all posted.
THANKS SO MUCH ALL OF YOU!

: Please post again and let us know, Will do

: Kathy

: Arizona

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: