kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: i've got some

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve on August 25, 2000 at 16:00:10:

In Reply to: Re: i've got some posted by EJ on August 25, 2000 at 14:54:53:

yeah, i've noticed they do drink alot. it's had me a little concerned about internal parasites. i have my own microscope and haven't found anything in any mass quantity. i'm not going to worm, unless they stop gaining weight and/or cease feeding (which i too have noticed, not much enthusiasm when feeding). i live in florida. right now it's the rainy season. we're getting rains almost everyday. the rain doesn't seem to change their activities at all. it's almost like they don't even realise it's raining. i've seen all the same activities during rain and sunshine. i'm going to be building a much larger pen for them (they're in a movable 4x8 foot pen now) because, like you said, they do seem to like to graze more than anything.
i've been feeding them (aside from the grazing) a shreaded salad consisting of zuchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, carrots, collards, romaine, peas, a pinch of crushed mazuri tort chow, and a pinch of repcal and/or powdered cuttlebone. i've found several other foods that they like alot, but probably aren't all that great for them. i will only feed these once every 1-2 months or two kick their appetites back in if they get bored with the current regimine. these include bananas, peaches, apples, mangos, and strawberries.
i too will post some weights when i've got some decent comparisons. the oblongas produce some very large feces for such a little tort. they lost close to 10% of their total weight with one #2.

: I've had a few for a couple of months now. As you said they are shy. I have planicauda and arachnoides. I have one planicauda that is not shy at all and does nothing but eat. I feed them various greens. I've also fed them rose bush parts (leaves and flowers) They eat it but they don't eat anything aggressively. They get water daily via a sprinkler system. They all drink at every opportunity. They seem to prefer grazing and browsing. The stools are made up of mostly dried leaves and grass. The planicauda like to burrow into hay and do what I call 'snorkle'. They burry themselves and stretch their necks way out. If they sense someone is watching they will withdraw. The neat thing is they all do it at the same time. The arachnoides do not do this. The planicauda are the most fun to watch because the have some really interesting behaviors.
: I'll post weights and sizes along with exactly what is being fed later.
: They are doing well in the shade with temperatures ranging from 60F to 100F. Again they get 'rained' on once a day.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]