kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: VERY INTERESTING....Enjoyed the reading!-have ques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on August 16, 2000 at 13:02:07:

In Reply to: Re: What Tortoise Speices would be good for an apartment? posted by Eric T. on August 15, 2000 at 13:12:02:

It's me again Eric.... probably a pain in everyone's side... but...
Have some questions as usual...

: At home I have a Russian tortoise in a desert/steepe habitat.

??Got a pic of the habitat... Got to ooverwinter my tort and would like to make him a larger indoor habitat?

During the summer months I take Skippy outside to allow him to graze and get some good sunlight. Outside he is always supervised. On cooler days in the late Autumn and Winter he stays inside his habitat; if he wants to hibernate I allow him to hibernate.

??Where abouts do you live? If he wants to hibernate... How do you know... don't you have preparation to do?

A full spectrum light is provided to help him manufacture vitamin D.
: Russian tortoises are very hardy and relatively easy to keep. They require a fairly spacious enclosure to run around in ( mine is about 6'by 3').

??That is large for an apartment isn't it - how'd ya do it?

I don't advocate letting them have the run of the house.

??Not even a little (once in awhile? - supervised?)

They like to climb and to dig so you should prepare for that. They need a variety of leafy greens (no cabbage, no spinach). A little chopped hay to provide roughage (you can buy this at a petstore in the rodent area). You can use edible flowers as a treat (dandelion, rose, hibiscus), and every now and then let the tortoise eat a berry or some melon (be carefull as fruit causes diarrhea). I provide a dish of water for the tortoise to drink from and wade in.
: ALWAYS TAKE YOUR PET TO A VET FOR A FULL CHECK-UP WHEN YOU BUY IT!!
: And I think that about covers it.
: -Eric-

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL. YOU GIVE SUCH GOOD ADVICE ALL THE TIME.... I DIDN'T KNOW YOU LIVED IN APT. GEEZ
SOUNDS LIKE SKIPPY IS HAPPY....
Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]