kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I NEED EXPERT OPINION ON HIBERNATING ISSUES PLEASE

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KATHY on August 15, 2000 at 00:45:19:

In Reply to: I NEED EXPERT OPINION ON HIBERNATING ISSUES PLEASE posted by Leslie on August 14, 2000 at 12:27:01:

Leslie,
You've got some great links here to check out regarding hibernating your new russian. But it sounds as if you haven't see a vet yet, and you are waiting until right before you plan to hibernate him? If I'm assuming correctly, I wouldn't wait--I'd have him checked now. If he's got a parasite problem (and chances are good that he does if he's wc), I wouldn't hibernate him this winter. If he's clean, I'd still want to wait a year before hibernating him. That's just my personal opinion because he's so new to you and it's so easy for them to go downhill quickly during hibernation. But, again, that's just my opinion and you have to do what's right for you. But I'd have him vet checked asap since you're planning to do that already. There is no sense in waiting.
Good luck.
Kathy

: Hi guys,
: You all have been so helpful to me before, so I am coming again to ask an important question:
: Since I am brand-new to the hibernating situation, but I have had my Russian Tort now for 2 months, I am thinking about the hibernation thing.
: My tort is in good condition, but I plan to take him to the vet to check him out B-4 we prep for hibernation.
: Considering that you must wind their food intake down, and clear out their stomachs, I am assuming it will take about 1- 1/2 weeks to do.
: With this in mind, when would be the best time to take him to the vet to get checked?
: I was thinking 3rd or 4th week in Sept (I will be gone the 1st and second weeks) It is very warm here in CO and I don't think temps will go done at a consistancy until sometime in Oct. Therefore, I don't think my tort will be ready for hibernation until then. But, again, I am new to this, so I don't know??
: So... does that timeline sound ok or too late? Also, can some of you elaborate on your preparation for hibernation and your hibernation process in general?
: Thanks
: Leslie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]