kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Breeding Sulcata Tortoises????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on August 12, 2000 at 07:58:06:

I have 6.7 sulcata tortoises that I have kept for going on 5 years. They range in size from 12" to 22" in straight plastron length, and 20 to 100 pounds. Their enclosure consists of two smaller pens each with their own concrete pond and access inside the building that is their winter quarters. There is a chute that leads them down to two larger pens that measure 128' by 64' made out of 32" hog panel. I rotate them between the two pens to keep them from totally grubbing the grass. They are outside from April to October here in Kansas where I live, and any nice days that we have in the fall and winter. They are rarely fed anything in the spring and summer grazing on the grasses in their pens. I have seen them breed consistantly the last three years but have never gotten any eggs. I have been told by breeders in Florida that they breed in the fall and winter here in the US and lay their eggs in the spring. Unfortunately mine do not take up breeding until spring since they are inside most of the time during the winter. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or help with keeping and breeding this far north? Thanks in advance, Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]