kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New update- Congrats and Welcome to the Tort World

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on August 07, 2000 at 14:56:10:

In Reply to: New update posted by Paco on August 06, 2000 at 15:29:46:

: Well, today my outdoor pen is 90% completed. It measures 12 feet by 6 feet. Right now, I don't have any vegetation, but I'll get some soon. I don't quite know which types to get, even after I have read 3 different articles on different websites about edible landscaping. Has anyone ever heard of a Spider Plant? My mom offered me hers, but I don't know if they are edible. I made 2 houses for the little fella, and he has plenty of rocks to bask on. How far down are the walls supposed to be, again? Underneath the surface, I mean. RIght now, the only thing I need is vegetation, a water pool/dish and a to do a little bit of fixing up, so he can't see out any holes.

: Anyways, the reason I got on here is because I am going to call Petsmart tomorrow and ask them as many questions. Perhaps if their answers don't satisfy, I'll have to look elsewhere for a tortiose.

: Questions so far are :
: 1- Was the tortiose bred, or caught in the wild?
**If you got it at Petsmart - it was probably WC

: 2- Where?
**Probably Russia and shipped over in a small container with millions of others... Will probably be stressed... Look for an active one.

: 3-How long has it been in the store?
**Good Ques
: 4-How were they shipped?
** Their personnel may not know or may not want to tell you
: 5-Have they ever visited a vet?
**Probably not - at least not a Reptile Vet (petsmart usually does not have vets specializing in them, but if you walk over to their vet place onsite - they can probably recommend one in your area.
: 6-How large are they? (I already know, I'm just double checking)
: 7- Is there some kind of warrantee?
**14 day only. Petsmart standard
: 8-Do you carry UV and basking lights?
**Yes they do.

: 9-Will a change in diet to more natural food affect them?
**Yes and BE REALLY CAREFUL, they give you a caresheet... and the one I got (I got mine at Petsmart too. Said to feed them thawed out froz veggies (which is what they fed them) and Dog Food for proteim and that an aquarium is OK for them.... ALL BAD ADVICE - Thank goodness I found this website... Where I got the Good Advice. So if you feed him/her correctly the change will be to the better.
: 10-Have any in the pen been sick?
: 11- Have you seen any bugs in the pen?
: 12-Do you carry cuttle bone?
: 13- What are the sex of the tortioses?

: I know they will lie on 90% of the questions, but I'll feel better. Any other questions you can think of?
Yeh, Where can I find a reputable REPTILE doctor.... Not an exotic pet doctor but a Reptile Doctor.

: *about 1 week from getting the tort*

GOOD LUCK! ( and congrats on building your Tort Pen. I live in Colo too!! When I move (we are planning to in the next couple of months) I will need an outdoor enclosure... Hopeful we can do as well as you.... Or maybe I will have to contract you!! )
Leslie

: Thanks

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]