kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hi Paco - RE: Russian Tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leslie on August 07, 2000 at 14:05:17:

In Reply to: This is part of an email I sent to a tortiosing friend, asking questions posted by Paco on August 04, 2000 at 10:16:30:

Hi Paco,
I am new to tortoises too, and I also live in Colorado (closer to Denver). We plan on moving (Still in Denver area) but for the time being I have a temp set-up for Aladar my Russian Tort. I have a Large Kiddie pool that I have filled with Reptile chips I purchased from the Pet Store (not cedar). I also put Top Soil and Sand in the Pool. I poked a lot of large holes in the bottom. It has a basking rock a log and a hiding Cave (I got on clearance) from the Pet Store and another Hollow Log for him to hide in (also I made a Dish Garden (with Annie's Pasture Mix (www.turtlestuff.com) and put it in the middle. For shade, I placed the pool halfway under a lilac bush so it doesn't get so hot. One Thing to remember: When it rains (especially in the Colo Plains) it is best to keep the tort inside. Since we don't get much rain nowadays, it is ok for a day or two. (make sure you get a lamp (that simulates sunlight and give off heat). For his indoor enclosure I bought a Large Reptarium from www.herpsupplies.com and filled it with sand, and Chips (also a rock and a fake rock backdrop. I put a couple of large twigs in there and he likes to hide under them. He mainly only goes in there when it is raining outside and at night. When we move we plan to build a larger enclosure outside for him. At night when he is inside, his enclosure is in our son's room, which is the lightest room and the warmest (the furtherest away from the Swamp Cooler) I have a thermometer on the Reptarium and it never goes below 70 degrees in there. If I can remember the website I got the idea about how to build a dish garden I will send it to you. Also, I found a really good reptile vet (VCA Anderson Animal Hospital) but it is on South Sheridan near my neck of the woods. I found the vet however, by calling a VetsMart (now something else) and they recommended this hospital - so maybe you can do the same. Also I took a pic of what the pool set-up I have for him looked like (before I put sand and topsoil in it - but maybe it will give you a good idea. I will try and post it and get back to you. Also remember if you have a dog (and you didn't say you did) remember... Torts and Dogs are to be kept separate (I have a dog, but Aladar is quite safe from him) and I don't know if you have coyotes and such where you live, but make sure your outdoor enclosure is predator proof.

Hope this all helps. The people who have posted information to you have been extemely helpful to me - so heed their advice.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]