kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric T. on August 06, 2000 at 22:52:14:

In Reply to: New update posted by Paco on August 06, 2000 at 15:29:46:

:Lets start with food. I wouldn't use spider plant. But alot of the succulents are fine; sedum,hen-and-chicks ( sorry I can't think of the latin name.)
Again I'm assuming that you are purchasing a Russian tortoise? (i'm sorry again, I didn't pay attention to some of the previous posts). Russians are very good diggers and can easily dig down a foot or more, they are also good climbers -don't let them fool you if there is an escape you tortoise will find it.
It is best to assume that the employees at this store either don't know the answers, or will out and out lie to you to make a sale; I know, I work in a petstore!. Most, if not all, of the Russians are wild caught.
When you go to see the Tortoises you should ask to handle them. A healthy tortoise should feel solid/heavy--the eyes should be bright and shiney not crusted over and the tortoise should react some way with its enviroment, a healthy tortoise is generally a feisty one. See if it can hang on to your hand only using its front legs like doing pull-ups, healthy tortoises are extremely strong. Take a look at the tortoise's vent--The opening at the tail where all the wast comes out; the vent should be relatively clean. If it is crusted over with his last bowel movement that probably means he is ill. Finely, ask to see him walk if he drags his rump so that the back of his shell is dragging on the ground/floor/whatever it could be a sign of calcium deficiency.

I really hope that I didn't put you in a panic with everything I wrote, it is rare to find a tortoise with every problem in existance. And alot of these problems can be corrected.

And I hope I understood it correctly... you are getting a Russian, right?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]