kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New set of stuff - Longer than you would imagine-

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paco on August 04, 2000 at 22:31:14:

Well, lets start off with the new news. I emailed my friend about getting a 6 inch long Russian Tortiose. He replyed that I should look around for a 4 month old hatchling, of a different species. He said that Russian Tortioses are known for being inactive and shy. That true? He also said that adults get more stress and don't bond as much as little hatchlings. I can see that, and believe it, so now I think I'm going to go to a town 2 hours away to look for a little Red-Footed or some other bugger. The only problem is the price. The Russians were only 40 dollars. I think Red-footed fellas are $110 or somewhere around there. Anyway, does anyone know the cheapest tortiose? I know they all will be expensive, but I'm already spending tons of money just getter ready for the fella. I hope this is the hardest part of tortiose raising.

On to the next topic he raised - Outdoor pens. Here is his opinion, directly from the email:

No I didn't build an out door cage...that is an extremely
lare amount of time wasted and money spent. Just bring him out when you go out and let him walk around. If you build an outside pen. This means out side heating, a large wooden Box...a well kept lawn, a cleaning of the lawn (his poopies), fencing and a carefull eye that another animal doesn't get in and eat him or hurt him severly. SO DON'T MAKE AN OUT DOOR PEN!!!!!

He makes some good points. I would have to worry that other animals eat him. For the pen I am making, I don't see a lockable top in the future. My backyard is only surrounded 75% by a fence. Arg, what do I do, what do I do? To have an outdoor pen, I definately need a top, correct?

Next - windows. I completely forgot about this problem when I figured out where my inside tank was going to go. He mentions that windows magnify light without letting in the UVs, which is true. :( I suppose I could put curtains over the window, I don't know.

CB - I should definately try to get a CB, correct?

Water to feed him with and wash him with - He mentions that I should wash him, and feed him with bottled good water, w/out any added chemicals...It seems like a good idea, but that would be enormously expensive. What do you guys give your torts to drink?

Cleaning - Here is the info he gave me, directly from the email:

When Cleaing the tank use "Simple Green" and "Mite-Rid"(just incase) simple green is safer then houshold bleach. House Hold bleach can leave residue's behind that will kill your tort if he ingests it. If it doesn't kill him he could get sick...it all depends on how much get's into his system...o yea and don't use soap..damn it all...soap is just as bad as bleach...USE SIMPLE GREEN!!!!!!!!! and thats that!!!!!...no excuses!!!!.....to wash- Spray Tank down with simple green and spray w/water...let it soak abit. Then rinse well...I said WELL!....then repeat w/mite-rid. Mite rid will help protect from mites and other parasites. Mites are very small usually white bugs that crawl about the tank and tortoise usually eating dead plants(his food) or feasting on the tort.

So what's your opinion of this all? Should I only use mite-aid and Simple Green?

Now for the old news:

First off, I think I will make a indoor and an outdoor pen, seeing as I have already started the outdoor pen. It'll be about 15 feet long, and 6 feet wide. If that isn't big enough for now, then I'm not meant to get a tortiose. I raked all the leaves out, then used a shovel to dig out the dirt and air it out. How deep do ordinary tortioses dig down? Will I have to put chicken wire underground or something? I think on the shady side I'll put the water bowl, one of the hidey holes, and some vegetation called "groundcover." That's the only name that my mom knows for it, so I don't know if it's edible. Perhaps I could take a picture and someone on here would recognize it? That's a long shot. 2 of the walls will be pre-existing fences. The other 2 will be 10 inches tall. My question is if I could use 10-12 tall plywood, or do I need something like 1x10s. 1x10s are mighty expensive.
Anyways, the outside pen is going good, except for the fact that I don't know what to do about the lid. Also, I can't really use plywood if I'm going to put on a top. Suggestions? Thanks for the link Terry, I'm basically trying to do the same as the guy's outdoor pen.

My indoor pen - Well, as of right now, I think the back of the pen will be plywood, along with the bottom. All other 3 sides will be plexi-glass. I don't quite know the size yet, but it'll be a bit larger than a card table. Is that large enough? If it isn't, would it be possible to build a duplex where a turtle goes up a ramp to get to another level? Suggestions? I did like the indoor pen from the link, yet I don't know where I would house it in my house. I don't have that kind of room.

Well, that's about it for now. I'm now extremely confused, about indoor pen's, outdoor pen's, and what breed/age should I get... Any suggestions are welcome, thanks for all the help already.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]