kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New information about wild sulcatas.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Giovanni on August 04, 2000 at 20:10:35:

In Reply to: New information about wild sulcatas. posted by J.M. on August 04, 2000 at 14:05:37:

: - Food intake: Meat (carrion) is more often consumed by sulcatas in the wild than suspected.

Juan, thank you for these interesting points. Yes it is true that the sulcata has been know to eat carcasses of various animals. Like most tortoises they are " opportunistic" and will provide themselves with a means for sustanance that would otherwise surprize the most seasoned of handlers. Although I don't know if all is fact, I have read many different behavior patterns that have really made me slack jawed.

: - Sulcata due to overcollected in recent years is now becoming very rare and severely threatened. The CITES org refused to put it in appendix I (good IMO becouse sometimes CITES is a real handicap to breeding programs in captivity, with the tortoise in appendix II is quite difficult to move tortoises between America and Europe, with those in the appendix I near imposible, even for zoos and institutions).

Based upon the recent postings in prop. 1138, I wouldn't give it much longer for them to change that.

: The export quota allowed for this tortoise in Africa is zero. (very good IMHO becouse of the endangered status of the tortoise and becouse tortoises breeding in captivity are more than enough for supply the demand)

I wasn't aware of that. Now hopefully if they take them off of the "small game" listings in some regions it could help them. Although with the continued growth in the desert, I sadly think it unlikely.

: - Tortoises in the wild are very parasite and disease free. (Is very hard to believe for me, having working with some very problematic wild caught pardalis, but...)

I don't find that hard to believe, mine are very healthy and spend alot of time outdoors grazing.

: - Sulcata Tortoises have a morphologic and genetic uniformity trought its range from Mauritania to Erytrea. This is due to the continous translocation of specimens by men. (some tortoise keepers from USA said to me that those from East africa are more dark and elongated).

Recently I met a couple at a herp society meeting and they had 2 juvenile sulcatas that were almost black they were so dark.

: There are a breeding facility now in Senegal and some reintroduction programs, I have offered my collaboration to those and I think that it could be a good destination for some of the unwanted tortoises that could appear in the american and european markets. Anyway, reintroduction is not always as easy as suspected, there are a lot of problems, from veterinarian, (diseases, parasites..), behavioral, habitats, etc.

I thank you for your efforts Juan.

Ciao'

Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: