kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: help for a deset tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on August 04, 2000 at 17:28:32:

In Reply to: help for a deset tortoise posted by amanda on August 04, 2000 at 16:23:21:

Hi Amanda,
Is this a desert tortoise as one that is found in the deserts of CA, NV, UT and Arizona?
If not, post back and we will help you identify your tortoise.
Pesticide free grasses and weeds are a good start. They love dandelion flowers, dandelion greens, and spinelss opuntia cactus and hibiscus flowers.
Annie sells a good grazing mix, desert seeds, and cactus at her website www.turtlestuff.com.
If you are feeding green vegetables, feed dark, leafy greens as EJ mentioned. Feed a variety of things like Romaine, escarole, endive/chickory, watercress etc. You can add a carrot or squash every so often as well.
Eliminate the fruit or only feed as an occasional treat and avoid veggies like beans, corn, broccoli, etc. Avoid spinach, chard, kale, bok choi and other cabbages or feed very sparingly as part of a highly varied diet.
I have cuttlebone available for mine at all times.
Mine won't drink out of a dish, so instead I run the hose at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times a week, depending on the heat and they drink from puddles on the lawn.
If you can house outdoors, do so as they do not seem to do as well indoors as they do out.
Desert Tortoises require a dry, warm to hot environment and do not tolerate being damp or damp conditions. They are prone to Upper Respiratory Infections so warm and dry conditions will help keep him healthy.
They normally hibernate in the wild, however as this tortoise is new to you this year, I would keep him up in the winter.
Finally, if he is a desert tortoise that is native to your state, you should contact your local fish and game to find out about permit procedures. Here in CA, one is required for each tortoise and it is a relatively easy process.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]