kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: The Vivarium, and other such questions -Long-

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on August 04, 2000 at 13:59:03:

In Reply to: The Vivarium, and other such questions -Long- posted by Paco on August 04, 2000 at 13:44:13:

Hi,
I can't comment on indoor enclosures as my pair of Russians are housed outdoors.
But then we enjoy much warmer weather here than you do in colorado.
But if you built an outdoor enclosure, they could go out on warm days and come in at night.
Or stay out during the summer and come in if the weather turns.
I also have sulcats, galbinifrons and NA box turtles.
The turtles enclosures are misted daily, but the torts enclosures are kept dry.
Is there any area in the yard that is sheltered and dry?
I built my Russians enclosure in the front yard up against the house, it's 20'-10' for one pair of Russians..
We have a hedge along the house walls, which provides plenty of shade and shelter for them.
I planted some tallish flowering plants along the outside of the enclosure, so from the street it just looks like a flowerbed.
Anyway go to the web site linked below for lots of indoor/outdoor enclosure ideas.
Check out some of the box turtle enclosures at the bottom of the linked page.
Especialy Jimmy Draybars box turtle indoor and outdoor enclosures.
That might work for you, both his indoor and outdoor enclosures are reasonably cheap to build, are fine for one or two russians. You'll just need to adapt them by having shallower water areas etc.
Hope this helps.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]