kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: need help with rescues....LONG... sorry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Julie on August 03, 2000 at 09:59:47:

In Reply to: need help with rescues....LONG... sorry posted by sonja on August 02, 2000 at 23:23:03:

If you do have malayan box turtles, this is a site just about them:
www.micronet.net/users/~turtles/amboinensis.html
By the way, I think you're great to be rescuing these poor creatures. I am glad their story will have a happy ending. Please keep us informed of their progress. Also by the way, I have heard that scutes are shed in some species. Maybe this is the case with yours.
: okay, i did get the four turtles at the shelter tonight. near as we can tell, i beleive they are malayan box turtles. now for the questions.... i'm going to search around on kingsnake, melissas sight and yahoo, but does anyway know the following?
: 1-what type of substrate should i use? i read that they are aquatic, but sometimes found far from water.....(odd?) they have webbed feet though. they have a hinge like a boxie though.
: 2-it says they are vegetarian in the wild, but omnivorous in captivity. i find this odd too, but my enclyclopedia (peter pritchard) is 30 years old. information changes!
: 3- the bottom of their shells is soft, what should i do. one even has a bubble under her, you can push on it and see water inside.
: 4- a lot of their scutes are off. is their anything i can do. there is no bleeding or open sores. they look like they've had water rot though.
: 5- their little feet are deformed. some of their nails are so long that they curl up and their little toes curl up and around. how far can i trim. i always have rocks in my enclosures and have never had to deal with long nails before. some of their toes are missing.

: thanks for any input. i truly appreciate it. i put them in a kiddie pool tonight (not full of water - not sure if they swim, figure they do since the feet are webbed, but with the deformities and the higher dome, i just didn't know), until i can make something permanent for them this weekend. you should see them skipping around like they are so exicted they have room! they ate a lot too! nothing wrong with their appetites. sonja

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]