kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

need help with rescues....LONG... sorry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sonja on August 02, 2000 at 23:23:03:

okay, i did get the four turtles at the shelter tonight. near as we can tell, i beleive they are malayan box turtles. now for the questions.... i'm going to search around on kingsnake, melissas sight and yahoo, but does anyway know the following?
1-what type of substrate should i use? i read that they are aquatic, but sometimes found far from water.....(odd?) they have webbed feet though. they have a hinge like a boxie though.
2-it says they are vegetarian in the wild, but omnivorous in captivity. i find this odd too, but my enclyclopedia (peter pritchard) is 30 years old. information changes!
3- the bottom of their shells is soft, what should i do. one even has a bubble under her, you can push on it and see water inside.
4- a lot of their scutes are off. is their anything i can do. there is no bleeding or open sores. they look like they've had water rot though.
5- their little feet are deformed. some of their nails are so long that they curl up and their little toes curl up and around. how far can i trim. i always have rocks in my enclosures and have never had to deal with long nails before. some of their toes are missing.

thanks for any input. i truly appreciate it. i put them in a kiddie pool tonight (not full of water - not sure if they swim, figure they do since the feet are webbed, but with the deformities and the higher dome, i just didn't know), until i can make something permanent for them this weekend. you should see them skipping around like they are so exicted they have room! they ate a lot too! nothing wrong with their appetites. sonja

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]