kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: pyramiding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on August 01, 2000 at 19:05:58:

In Reply to: Re: pyramiding posted by Eric T. on August 01, 2000 at 12:37:45:

Maybe it would help to look at it from a volume point of view. You make a perfectly round object then cut it exactly in half and hollow it out so the wall thickness is identical for each sphere. If you filled each one with liquid, they would be the same. Then to one of the halves, you add some hollow cone shaped abjects to the outside and drill holes through the sphere at the location of each cone. Now you fill them both with liquid again. Will the spheres still take the same amount of liquid? The one with the cones added to it will take more liquid because you have increased the surface area of the object. The total quantity of liquid will be the amount held in the orginal sphere plus the sum of the volumes of each of the cones.

Bill

: :Bill:
: What you have said makes sense and the math adds up. But somehow it doesn't seem right, and I can't put my finger on what I mean. Sometimes good evidence is wrong because some factor has been overlooked. I'm not saying you are wrong,
: in fact you are most likely correct, But I am still going to think about the puzzle and try to prove you wrong. Wish me luck.
: -Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]