kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: A word of caution with catus pears.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Georgia on July 22, 2000 at 08:56:00:

In Reply to: A word of caution with catus pears. posted by J.M. on July 22, 2000 at 03:07:32:

: (Excuse my English) In relation to cactus pads, these are one of the best food for tortoises, but always the spines or the stings,and specially the glochids (hair like spines) must be removed. Some spineless cactus are not so much "spineles" and I grow more than five varieties.

: Cactus pears (also prickly pears or tunas or tunos): I have noticed that traumatic problem with impactation (intestine obstruction) in humans due to the seed in a few very rare and exceptional cases. Tortoises are much more prone to impactation than humans, so be carefull. Also the very high sugar content of the fruit could be a problem in the proliferation of some dangerous intestinal bacterias like amebas. IMHO cactus pears only must be considered as tortoise food when inmadure, with the same color and consistency than the cactus pads, and clean from spines.

: That is my opinion based only in my experienece.

: Any comments welcome.

: J.M. Canary Islands

JM...your English was fine. I had wondered myself late last year and early this year about the seeds in the cactus "berries, pears, apples" we fed to our sulcata. The seeds were quite hard, crunchy, like very small pebbles. We only fed one a week and the seeds seemed to pass through. It was late in the season, so I assume they were very mature fruit. The sugar content we could tell was high. We refered to the berries as the tort's candy. Hibiscus flowers are like candy to our tort also. Thanks for your input.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]