kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Spider torts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jerry Fife on July 14, 2000 at 12:30:26:

In Reply to: Spider torts. posted by mike on July 14, 2000 at 07:45:51:

Mike:

I have breeding groups of Pyxis planicauda, arachnoides & brygooi. They are all doing well, have not lost any. I have had two eggs, one of which appears good. I expect that with reasonalbe care that the survival rate of recent imports should be quite high, (if other spiders are doing as well as mine).

They are great looking little tortoises, but are somewhat shy. The brygooi actually run for cover if they see me coming, the others just close up. The Pyxis a. arachnoides seem the least shy. Who knows, may just depend on the individual tortoise. I would say they are similar to a hingebacks in personality.

After just a couple months it is really too early to know for sure how they will do long term, but they are active and eating well. I expect that captive hatched Pyxis will be available in the U.S. (in limited numbers) from now on.

I will add that I think the current prices are unreasonably low, but that goes for all wild caught imported tortoises.

I wish everyone success with their tortoises. Hope they are healthy and happy!

Jerry Fife

: Hey everyone! I do not have any nor do I really want any, but was just had a few questions for those of you that have purchased spider torts. What has the survival rate been with them? How are they adapting to the environment and climates of the states? What kind of vet bills have been incurred? Is there one of the three species that is adapting better that others? How have people been setting them up? Any other info or stories about these guys you may have!! Thanks

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]