kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Feeding Research

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nathan on March 14, 2002 at 10:14:28:

In Reply to: Re: Feeding Research posted by Terry on March 14, 2002 at 07:47:09:

citrus oil is an extract from citrus fruits (lemon, orange, etc...). The way it works is that it attracts ants by smell, and they get stuck in it and dissolved. I think it can be purchased at home improvement type places as a pest removal. You could also put it out in a covered dish that only the ants could get to, and anchor it so the tort can't get at it, not that a mm of citrus oil should cause a tort any troubles.

Personally I use pots of boiling water. I boil it and then stir up the anthill or location where they are living, and pour pot after pot of boiling water on it.

Diatomacious earth is fossilized remains of little organisms, from what I can tell. It works because it is so fine, but still hard, it sticks to ants and when they try to clean themselves it cuts them up and kills them. If you dig a hole into the anthill and pour some in (it's like sand), then back fill, or put a rock on it, it shouldn't pose problems to animals that are not ant sized, they just happen to be so small that it can affect them. Humans can handle the stuff just fine. It does get rinsed away in rain.

I've found boiling water to be quite effective, though. It can take a few applications, like once a week for 2-3 weeks, but the ants decide to move elsewhere, or else are killed off. It's also just water, so once it cools it's harmless to everything else.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]