kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Tort Estivation advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KATHY on July 06, 2000 at 21:05:02:

In Reply to: Russian Tort Estivation advice posted by LauraO on July 06, 2000 at 12:52:48:

: Hi. It is my understanding that Russians really need a summer estivation period to ensure good long-term health.
I'm curious, why do you believe this? Certain tortoises do aestivate, but (I could be totally off on this one) they will do it themselves if the temps get too high. I don't think that your temps are high--in fact, they seem to be pretty optimal. I assume they're outside; I would be more concerned if you have high humidity and/or damp weather. Russians don't do well when damp weather.

I acquired a pair recently which were loaded with pinworms. They are presently being treated (I have a very good reptile vet, plus two more backups at my disposal if necessary). I have a few questions. Firstly, after a few fecals do come up clear, how long afterwards would it be considered safe to try and estivate them? I always do at least 2 or 3 backup fecals on my animals just to make sure any remaining evidence of parasites is caught. Secondly, just to be on the safe side anyway, I was thinking of skipping estivation this summer and just trying a hibernation period this winter, once it is established that they are healthy.
That's the way I'd go. Even if they attempted to aestivate, I'd pull them out. Since they're new to you, I'd even consider not overwintering them this year (personal opinion).

Do you think this is a good idea? Thirdly, in general, what are the optimum temps for both summer estivation and winter hibernation for Russians? Presently their day temp is 80-86 DT and mid-to-high seventies NT. I do not know for sure if this is a little high for a non-estivating animal, but from what I have read and heard from tortoise people near me, I believe it is ok. Plus the way I see it, a little added heat generally helps sick reptiles anyway.
Different torts have different temp needs; I'm sure the site below will give you the info you need, as well as other resources that you'll find helpful.

Anyone who answers these questions for me will have my gratitude. I got most of my hands-on chelonian experience through volunteering with the Bronx Zoo reptile house (the curator loves chelonians above all), but my at-home experience has been more heavy with snakes, lizards and treefrogs. Thanks!

I live in Arizona and have 2 russians. Our temps are quite different from yours (highs of 115, lows of 85). One of my torts is fine with the high temps, the other aestivates and comes out about once every 2 weeks on his own. But since are temps are high, I pull him out every 3 or 4 days and soak him for 30 minutes, when he drinks and just lets it 'all hang out.' Both were recently seen by the vet and given clean bills of health, but they behave quite differently. I would assume yours would do the same (if healthy, I mean they'll do what they feel they need), and with your temps I'd imagine they'd be happy just grazing and maybe napping in the afternoon during the higher temps.

Good luck with your new guys.

Kathy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]